Destination races, or otherwise known as a race-cation, are a lot of fun. Not only do you have the excitement of a race to look forward to, but you also have a mini-break (or a longer stay if you prefer) to get excited about as well. Running is a really nice way to see different parts of the world.
One of the things I find stressful about race-cations, however, is the packing. Packing for a vacation stresses me out a bit too, but if you forget something on a vacation, there is a good chance you can go out and buy what you have forgotten. A race-cation is different, because there are a lot of crucial things that you need for a race that are not easily replaceable.
Here is a list of what I always pack for race-cations.
- Running shoes – obvs.
- Running clothes (take a selection that will suit weather changes) – obvs again.
- Hydration belt and empty water bottles.
- Food items for the race – gels, snacks, electrolytes.
- Bowl, travel cutlery and dry ingredients for overnight oats (my pre-race breakfast).
- A small amount of laundry detergent (to soak my running clothes in after the race – believe me, it’s worth it, especially if you are extending the vacation for a while after the race).
- In case of injury and/or post-race recovery – KT tape, pain-killers, epsom salts.
- Roller stick and ball for that post-race recovery roller session.
Also, a little hint – for all the crucial race gear that you can’t replace, I recommend putting this in hand luggage so that it is with you at all times when you travel.
Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.
Running, Nutrition & Mindset Coaching