As I sit writing this post in January 2021, the world is still consumed in the covid-19 pandemic. We can all agree that no matter where in the world you are, 2020 was a challenging year. With all of us navigating the lockdown restrictions and new ways of living, achieving goals we’d set ourselves on January 1st 2020 went out the window (perhaps not for everyone, but certainly for a lot of people). Priorities shifted as the world came to terms with what was happening to mankind.
2021 has so many unknowns, so rather than setting big lofty goals, consider focusing on micro goals. What I mean by micro goals are small and easy actions that can be incorporated into daily routine without adding extra stress into your life. I’d suggest picking 1-3 micro goals to focus on during the first few months of the year, make them realistic so as not to overstretch yourself.
Below is a small selection of micro goals, but there are many many options, pick something that works for you.
- For every single workout, do a warm-up and a cool-down
- Carry a small water bottle on all runs (even during winter running hydration is important)
- Foam roll 3 times a week (or even better, after each workout)
- Incorporate 1 additional strength training workout each week
- Get a good night sleep pre-long runs
- Experiment with pre-running nutrition to get the optimum results during runs
- Once a week include one different type of run (speed, tempo, fartlek, long slow distance) to mix up the experience and challenge the body in different ways
- Experiment in the kitchen and make 1 new dish a week
- When doing a weekly food shop, buy one new food item and incorporate that into a recipe
- Drink 8 glasses of water each day
- Start the day with a warm glass of water with a slice of lemon
- Go for a 30 minute walk each day
- Walk to the grocery store rather than taking the car
- Read 1 book a month
- Listen to 1 podcast episode once a week
- Meditate for 5 minutes a day
Find something that works for you and identify ways that you can incorporate this into your life.
You’ve got this!
Running, Nutrition & Mindset Coaching
Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.