I would never in a million years have thought I’d be able to make a gluten free and vegan pizza base from scratch, but I promise you it’s not hard and you’ll absolutely love it.
This pizza could be a large pizza for one or perfect for sharing; typically my husband and I share one, and that gives us 4 slices each.
2.5 cups of uncooked quinoa (this needs to be soaked in water for at least 7 hours)
1 cup of water
3-5 tbsp of nutritional yeast (I go with 5 as I like the base to have a slight cheesy flavour)
2 tbsp of garlic powder (optional)
1.5 tbsp of onion powder (optional)
2 tbsp of dried herbs (optional)
1 tbsp of baking powder
1 tsp of Himalayan or sea salt
- Soak the uncooked quinoa in a bowl of water for at least 7 hours – ensure the quinoa is completely submerged in the water.
- Preheat the oven to 400F/205C.
- Drain the water from the quinoa and give it a good rinse.
- Add the quinoa and water to a blender/food processor/coffee bean grinder until broken down (my blender and food processor were not able to do this, which is why I also suggest using a coffee bean grinder as this worked perfectly for me – although I couldn’t do the whole mixture in one go, and had to do it in a few smaller batches).
- To a large bowl, mix the blended quinoa mixture with the rest of the ingredients.
- The mixture will have a wet batter consistency.
- Spoon the mixture onto a parchment paper-lined baking tray, and spread evenly.
- Place in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and flip the base as we now want to cook the other side. I find that using the parchment paper as ‘handles’ helps to flip the base over – think of it as almost like flipping a pancake, have confidence and go for it! Peel the parchment paper off and discard.
- Cook this side of the pizza base until golden brown, approximately for 10 minutes.
- Remove base from oven and add tomato paste, veggies and cheese.
- Cook pizza until the toppings are your preferred level of cooked and melted (between 10-20 minutes).
- Remove from oven, slice and enjoy!
HELLO, I’m Gillian, a running and nutrition coach based in Toronto, Canada. Thank you so much for taking the time to read this post, it really means a lot to me. If you are interested, I have MORE: